Saturday, June 17, 2006

Mumps?

Yes, the mumps. "How archaeic!" was the comment someone made. My grandmother laughed when I repeated it. "I haven't heard of anyone having the mumps in forty years." And there you have it.

Don't worry, loyal readers, I'm quarantined in a hotel somewhere in Ocean Springs, MS. I only venture out to get groceries and coffee.

Luckily, it's not terrible to be in quarantine right now. The World Cup of soccer is on, so I get to work on web pages, evacuation plans, phone calls to plumbers, and watch world-class football matches for many hours in a day. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a sports fan. During any other time of the year, I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between the Buffalo Sabres and the Montreal Expos.

During World Cup, I still don't pay attention to the stats, but I do love to watch great football. Unfortunately, the US doesn't usually qualify as great football. Argentina, yes, that's beautiful stuff. I shouldn't bash the US team because they tied Italy with only 9 players on the field (Italy had 10).

You might wonder what World Cup has to do with Hands On, but it's extremely relevant. There are more than a few rabid football fans who would love to veg out in front of the TV, only they're too dedicated to spend that much time in front of a television...

So there you have it? Hands On volunteers are so dedicated that they only occassionally watch a game from the tournament that causes the rest of the world to grind to a halt.

:: Chris ::

P.S. If only other volunteers would write ...

1 comment:

Hands On Gulf Coast said...

P.S. It wasn't the mumps. It was some other bizarre virus of the parotis the doctor suspects.

:: Chris ::