Thursday, February 07, 2008

Thanks Hands On

Where to begin...
To avoid being entirely too sappy, this will be a quick blog.
It is the end of my official month anniversary at Hands On Gulf Coast and let me just tell you that the experience has been amazing. I am surrounded by caring, fun people in Hands On and the greater community. I would especially like to thank Miss Juanita and Dottie for taking on the mother roles and offer nothing but support and love to those around them.
I came to Hands On with very few expectations, I only knew it was the right thing to do. So far this belief only grows stronger. I have had the opportunity to become part of a community and challenge myself with a group of amazing people. How could I go wrong?
Since I've been in Biloxi, I've participated in two parades (receiving free fried chicken from D'Vines Soulfood in both), helped win the spirit award in a bed race, played with the kids at the Boys and Girls Club, celebrated Martin Luther King Day and Mardi Gras properly, and roller skated for the first time in 20 years (and yes, I had several people who were patient enough to hold my hands the entire time!). I can't believe how lucky I am.
Currently, I'm trying to wriggle my way in to a larger community and spread the Hands On goodness. This is one of the few times in my life that I can say I want to do more, I don't want to stop at good enough.
Tomorrow is my first day of Healthy Living classes for the 9 and 10 year olds at Boys and Girls Club. I have a feeling that this class will really challenge me and give me something to work towards. I'm ecstatic. I have so much to learn from the kids. And who knows, I might even inspire a healthier lifestyle in one or two of the kids.
No matter what happens, I am thankful to be on the Gulf Coast.
Here's to new friends, new experiences and a healthier Mississippi!
Cheers!

No comments: